Hazardous Household Waste

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Regulations by Media Member Jurisdiction

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

  • ARCHDALE: See Randolph County
  • GREENSBORO: See Guilford County
  • KERNERSVILLE: See Forsyth County
  • JAMESTOWN: See Guilford County
  • RANDLEMAN: See Randolph County
  • TRINITY: See Randolph County
  • WINSTON-SALEM: See Forsyth County 

Convenience Center:  Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 6:00 pm; Saturday, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm; Sunday, 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm. 

Currently,  the Convenience Center accepts the following HHW items year-round: used oil, used oil filters, antifreeze, used cooking oil, lead acid batteries, electronic waste.

Household Hazardous Waste and Electronic Waste Disposal Facility: 1401 S. Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr., Winston-Salem, NC 27101 (Map).  Hours: Wednesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Closed Sunday through Tuesday, plus holidays and select holiday weekends. 

Call 336-784-4300 for more information, or LINK HERE see the current full list of acceptable waste!

The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Center is located at Ecoflo, Inc., 2750 Patterson Street in Greensboro. Monday – Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.  If you have questions, contact the HHW Hotline at (336) 373-2196, or LINK HERE to the website to see the current full list of acceptable waste

Alamance County Landfill: 2701 Austin Quarter Road , Graham, NC  27253
Phone:  (336) 376-8902; Solid Waste Director:  Richard Hill; Email:  richard.hill@alamance-nc.com

Currently, the landfill accepts the following HHW items year-around at the convenience/recycling center: used oil, used oil filters, antifreeze, used cooking oil, lead acid batteries, electronic waste.

CONVENIENCE SITES - All sites accept the following items with no limit: newspaper, mixed paper, plastic HDPE (Milk), plastic PET (soda), aluminum cans and cooking oil, batteries & oil filters.
Antifreeze & Motor Oil……...Limit 5 gallons per person per day
Tires (must be off rim)………. Limit 5

  • Coleridge Convenience Site: Hwy 42 at Erect-Holly Springs Rd.; Phone: (336) 879-2933; Mon, Thur, & Fri: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm; Sat: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
  • Liberty: 428 W. Brower Ave.; Phone: (336) 622-1067; Mon, Thur, & Fri: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm; Sat: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
  • Randolph County Solid Waste Facility: 11254 County Land Road; Phone: (336) 683-8230; Mon – Fri: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm; Sat: 7:00 am – 12:00 pm
  • Farmer Convenience Site: Hwy 49 S. near Tom’s Creek; Phone: (336) 857-3002; Mon,Thur, & Fri: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm; Sat: 8:00 am. – 3:00 pm.

Important Tips for Delivering Waste to Facilties:

  • Unless specifically noted on the city/county website, community Keep waste items in their original containers whenever possible. Do not mix separate waste products.
  • If the container label is unreadable or a material is in a different container from the original, label it (if you know for certain what it is).
  • If you have a material that is not listed below that you wish to bring to a facility, call first and explain what it is. It may save you an unnecessary trip if it may be disposed in the regular trash.
  • Cushion compact fluorescent light bulbs to ensure that they do not break.
  • When you arrive at a facility, do not leave your vehicle. Await instructions from the attendant and have proof of residency at hand.
  • If you bring waste in a container that you want back, tell the attendant. 
  • In some cases, there are limits of how much and how often a resident may visit a waste site. If you have a BIG project, consider renting a dumpster fro ma commercial garbage hauler. If in doubt about whether you are over the limit, contact the local facility in advance.

Never dump household hazardous wastes in storm drains or streams, or flush them down the toilet.