January - New Beginnings
JANUARY - NEW BEGINNINGS
The caregiving journey of providing loving care for a family member is ever-changing and unique. With each new month there are new opportunities to re-focus with purpose and passion. Let the New Year 2020 begin a decade with a new vision!
If you are a caregiver, here are some tips to find the positivity and joy in each day ahead:
- Begin each day with a voice of thanks and gratitude, as you feel the strength of your mind and body given this day to share with others.
- Begin a daily journal to record a list of things for which you are grateful.
- Surround yourself with meaningful triggers of humor and laughter, to be shared with your care partner – such as funny videos, shows, joyous pictures, stories.
- Invite friends who are positive and caring to come visit and share time with both of you doing something you all enjoy – example, a movie night.
- Play favorite music – dance or sing along.
- Plan one special thing each week which you and your care partner enjoy, even if it’s just going for a daytime drive.If the weather interferes, plan a “cookies and hot chocolate night”.
- Every day should bring some special joy – a smile, a twinkle, a laugh.Find the light side even when something doesn’t quite work out the way you planned it.
- Thus, find your own journey with joy!